In addition to the School of Natural Sciences dinner 'From Rice to the Moon and Mars,' you are invited to attend the events hosted by NASA Johnson Space Center and Rice to celebrate this momentous occasion.
- Saturday, Sept 10: Rice football game with commemorative apparel — purchase tickets
- Sunday, Sept 11: Natural Sciences 'From Rice to the Moon and Mars'
- Monday, Sept 12: NASA and Rice 'We Choose to Go to the Moon' National Celebration of John F. Kennedy's Speech at Rice Stadium
From Rice to the Moon and Mars Schedule
- 5:00 p.m. Private NASA Exhibition Viewing, Robert L. Waltrip Training Center
- 6:00 p.m. Bob Gomel photo exhibit opens, Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall Lobby
- 6:30 p.m. Dinner and program, Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall
- 8:30 p.m. Evening events, Anderson Biological Lab and Brockman Hall for Physics
Arrival to Campus
Complimentary parking will be available in the Central Campus Garage, located on Laboratory Road near Alumni Drive. The Central Campus Garage is building 57 on this downloadable campus map.
Private shuttle service will be provided from the Central Campus Garage to the private exhibition viewing facilities and to the Rice Memorial Center.
Dinner and program
- Thomas Killian Dean of Natural Sciences, Rice University
- Reginald DesRoches President, Rice University
- James L. Burch '68 vice president of space science and engineering division, Southwest Research Institute
- Shannon Walker '87 NASA astronaut
- Bob Gomel photojournalist who created images of 60s world leaders and major events, including President Kennedy and the Rice Stadium speech
- Stephen Bradshaw professor of physics and astronomy
- Rajdeep Dasgupta Maurice Ewing Professor in Earth Systems Science
- Andrea Isella William V. Vietti Associate Professor in Space Physics
- Kirsten Siebach assistant professor of Earth, environmental and planetary sciences
- James Newman '84 Naval Postgraduate School and former NASA astronaut
Program will close with moon viewing at the Rice University Campus Observatory, Brockman Hall for Physics
Reply to MoonAndMars@rice.edu or call 713-348-1962
Please note that is this a private event, by invitation only. If you received an email from a FaceBook group or other forwarded message please call 713-348-4268 to ensure the invitation is from the Dean of Natural Sciences. Space is very limited. Thank you.